9/29/2014

Farmers know

Monday October 6th, Isaiah 5:  5 Now I will tell you what I am going to do to my vineyard: I will take away its hedge, and it will be destroyed; I will break down its wall, and it will be trampled. 6 I will make it a wasteland, neither pruned nor cultivated, and briers and thorns will grow there. I will command the clouds not to rain on it." 7 The vineyard of the LORD Almighty is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah are the garden of his delight. And he looked for justice, but saw bloodshed; for righteousness, but heard cries of distress.  Sometimes, the best one can do for one’s children is to let them go on their own and experience the fruitlessness of a non-connected life. It is painful to watch, often times because it reminds us of our own experiences.  Fredrick Buechner points out in Wishful Thinking, that Christians aren’t any better than anyone else, they just have some half-baked idea who to thank, and what a difference knowing who to thank and going about thanking them makes.  Buddhists would call it mindful presence.  Farmers know that sometimes just letting a field rest for a while is the best thing you can do for it if you want long term production.  But as a parent, which I imagine as similar to God in this situation, it is tough thing to watch, and hoping someday they will find their way and stop hurting is a long and often painful process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Facebook me